Friday, July 30, 2010

Sick

It's Friday again. Luke has been sick now for a full week. We finally went to UrgentCare last night to have him checked out. Good thing we did...

He has pneumonia.

I've never had anyone in my family have pneumonia before. The doc put him on some serious drugs to get this thing kicked. Right after he took the codene, he seemed to greatly improve.

Until he got up to go to the bathroom.

All the sudden I hear him calling for me in the hall. I find him white as a ghost standing in the hallway. "I think I'm passing out." Sure enough, as I'm having a heart attack, he grabs my arm and slides to the floor. Thankfully he never fully blacked out, but he looked dead. Completely drained of color. I'm panicking. Is he allergic to this stuff? Should I be getting him to the ER? So I run and get some juice. And throw some bread in the toaster. He hasn't eaten much in a week, and he sweats so much during the day, he has to drink a lot.

The juice and toast helps, and I get him to the couch and call work. I'm not leaving him alone if the drugs are doing this to him. He could pass out, hit his head, and I come home to him unconscious on the floor. The codene worked though, he was able to get a night's sleep without waking up coughing every 15 minutes. I slept on the cot next to the couch to keep an eye on him. The dogs are loving the fact they get the bed to themselves, but are confused why we're sleeping in the living room.

Today was better. He only went white again when he sat at the computer for a couple minutes. It was really hot in the house though, despite all the fans trained on the living room. When we get the money, we're having AC installed. It's insane to live in the desert and not have AC. He's sleeping again, and I hope that he'll be much better by Monday. I'm so glad now that I decided not to become a nurse. While I don't mind caring for him, in fact I like taking care of him, it's the running around to take care of him I could do without. I'm good with the love, but the drink refills and toast making on demand gets old. Could be worse I guess. He could be throwing up as well.

I got some very sad news today from my best friend, Rachel. Rachel and I have been besties since high school, and for the last little while, her mom has been battling breast cancer. Unfortunately, last night she lost that battle. It came at a rough time for Rachel, who just finished the bar exam earlier this week. Luckily, she was able to make it home before her mom passed. She was a super nice and smart lady, and the world will not be quite as bright without her. But she is no longer suffering.

If you're reading this, I'd ask you to pray, or just send good vibes her way. I can't imagine what she's going through right now. I've had my share of loss in my family, but never anyone as close as a parent. Rachel, I love you, and I'm thinking about you. If you need ANYTHING at all, give me a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment