Thursday, February 26, 2009

He is now a She

I knew it. I have never had a cat until a couple of years ago when we fostered Sadie, because I’m allergic. After Sadie, we had Melly, who got lymphoma and died only 5 months after we had her at 2 years old. Now, we have Mr. Keaton, a black and white we got as a kitten. Luke’s mom has his sister, Annie.

Or should I say “her.” Because I’ve never had cats, I don’t know how you tell the girls from the guys. Since I’m more of a dog person, I wondered why our cat, whom we were told was a boy, had no “parts.” Luke would never explain it to me, so I Googled, and after looking under Mr. Keaton’s tail and comparing with diagrams, I thought he was in fact a she.

It was a fact that was verified this morning by my husband. Apparently, “Mr.” Keaton, had his tush in the air and was bouncing around like crazy. Much like his sister went through before she got fixed. Apparently, “Mr. Keaton” is in heat. So now we have to find a new name for the cat. And get her fixed. It’s going to be hard to think of him as a girl now, after about 9 months of owning the thing. Well, at least for me. Luke’s been calling him “she” since we got her. I guess the up side of this is I’m no longer outnumbered in the house…there is now more estrogen than testosterone. If you have suggestions for a name, I’d love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment