Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hooray for Slurpees

Luke and I bought a house without air conditioning. It hasn't been a bad thing...until now. Most of the evening, I want to sit outside, because it's cooler on the deck than it is in the house, despite the fact we have fans going and every window is open.

Now, the house did come with a swamp cooler. Yesterday, Luke took the day off, and he said he would look into why it wasn't turning on. So when the house reached 90 yesterday afternoon, I asked, "did you look at the swamp cooler?" Of course, he hadn't. So I go over to the thing, and there's a switch on the wall as well as on the cooler. I switch both of them on, and cool relief wafts through the house. AHHHH! Apparently he didn't see the switch on the wall.

When it's this hot, the only thing that really satisfies (other than a dunk under the hose) is a Slurpee. Conveniently, there's one just down the street! That cool slurpee goodness is definitely getting us through these hot summer days. I miss the pool we had at the condo. I might have to get a kiddie pool out in the yard.

We went to Pueblo for the holiday weekend and had a great time. It was good to see some family, as I haven't seen any of my relations since December. I'm really hoping John decides to move out here, not only for his sake, but for mine. After a while, it really sucks to be so far away from the people you love. As I get older, the more important family becomes to me and the more I want us all to be in the same town again. It's a bit heartbreaking to see the Shirley compound, because even though we're family, you can't help but feel like an outsider. They've spent their whole lives together, and we've only been down during the summers and for some holidays. The atmosphere is also different than it used to be. Between losing Grandpa two years ago and Gramma's stroke, a lot of the laughter has dissipated. Perhaps one day it will be the same again. We do have reason to celebrate though, as my cousin is about to have her second child! It's those times I wish I was a lot closer. Luke and I have talked and moving to Denver may seriously be in the 5 year plan. We'll see what happens.

Sad to come back to work, but I do like my job. Just wish I had more time on vacation and less time driving to vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment