Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Time for some steadiness

Yet another weekend interrupted. We went to Wendover for some fun time before Luke went back to school. It started great! We got a comped room at Montego (which has been nicely remodeled) and gambled till 3am. Then, about 9am, I get a call. It's work, and one of the producers has called in. *sigh* So we get all packed up and drive right back to Salt Lake, where I end up working one of the most action packed nights of my life thus far at KUTV. An officer-involved shooting, a police chase of 4 wanted escapees from Wyoming, and then, 30 minutes before the 10pm show, some guy knocks on the door of this house and blows away the father and wounds the mother in front of their kids.

I've just been super stressed out the last week or so, and it's showing in my attitude. I desperately need some steadiness, especially at work. I think everyone does. All the producers are up and down and here and there. Practically no one is working their own show while we wait for a decision on who the 5pm producer will be. Everyone is super stressed, and the newsroom doesn't feel like it used to. I think everyone's a little jaded at the changes that have happened over the last year, and it's showing. It's high time things got settled, and we could get back into the regular routine of work. I think it will make things a lot better.

In the meantime, some good news: John is coming to visit! He's flying out for a week in October, and we're taking him to Yellowstone. Luke and I had booked a room at the Old Faithful Inn, kind of as just a nice, cheap getaway for the two of us a couple months ago. Then Mom hinted to John that we were going, and he asked if he could come visit and go with us. Of course we said yes, and so now he's coming and we're going to have a great time. Lots of pressure with this visit, because he's also checking out SLC as a potential new home. He's kind of tired of TN, and has considered coming out here for a change, since Luke and I are here as a support system. Now I've got to find lots of things for him to do to show that he'd have a good time living here. Any ideas, let me know!

I guess with John's impending visit, and Luke at school a few nights a week, I have a lot of time to myself to get the house all fixed up. I had a dream last night that I was prepping the front yard for seed. I guess I should work on that tonight after work, so that I can start getting the seed in soon and it can grow before it gets too cold. I can't believe it's almost September! I may cheat and see if I have the money to go get sod. Perhaps I'll call for some quotes today. I'll still have to hack away at the weeds before I can lay sod, but then I won't have to wait for the stuff to grow. I suppose it's good exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment