Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Not so in "Love"

There’s a new show on Fox I’m going to take issue with for a minute here. Now, being a loyal Bachelor/Bachelorette follower, I’m addicted to watching the process of one person pick from a plethora of people to try and find love. However, I have to say I will not be tuning in to More to Love this season. There’s a couple reasons. First, the guy they picked, from what I’ve seen, is a total schmuck. He’s already making out with girls, has these super cheesy lines, and overall leaves me feeling a bit slimy and wanting to run away from my TV.

Second, I really take issue with the “real women” they portray on this show. I understand the average size in women is 12 in this country. I’m all for showing people that are “average.” But I would not qualify these women as average. 230 pounds is not the average woman. Not only that, but they degrade these women and make it all about the weight issue by showing their eye-popping weight every time they flash their name. We get it, they’re fat. You don’t need to humiliate them more. Plus, they’re all really needy and desperate. So many of the women are crying in interviews because they can’t get dates, they just want to find love, etc. WAKE UP! This is not just because you’re fat! It’s because you have no self-esteem! Even the skinniest, hottest of women are going to have trouble finding or holding on to a man if they’re not confident in who they are. This show is not giving women good role models to look up to.

Thirdly, and I think most important, as a nation becoming shockingly more obese, I very much disagree with glorifying being overweight. It is NOT ok to be obese, not for the image issue, but in terms of health. I’m sure the doctors of these women have told them multiple times they need to lose weight, or they risk preventable illnesses like diabetes, shortened life span, and heart disease, which is the number one killer of women. We should NOT be saying it’s OK to be this heavy. We NEED to turn around America’s lazy habits and get back out and active again. If you’re going to do a show featuring obese people, the only ones I would watch are ones that inspire me to change my lifestyle, such as the Biggest Loser. I think that’s why I like the Bachelor/Bachelorette. Yes these women are really skinny, but they are also healthy and not sweating their makeup off at cocktail parties. They make me want to be like them. It inspires me to change my lifestyle and try to be healthier, go to the gym regularly, and make sure I put my best foot forward to the world. The laziness in America has got to stop. Shows like More to Love are not going to affect change. The only positive I could see coming from this is seeing that women can be heavy and date, thereby giving heavier women more confidence, or else they see these women, and can relate to their weight, and it inspires them to start being healthier, because they see the story of their lives on the screen.

I’ll be interested to see what ratings come in on this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment